Last Updated on August 18, 2023 by Christian Heide
Alternative Amsterdam – Discover NORTH
“Explore a part of Amsterdam you would not normally see. There are only a few tourists there and you get to see the newly build parts of Amsterdam as well as very special places with an “in” and “alternative” vibe!” (Henning Retzgen, Herdecke, Germany in May 2023)
Alternative Amsterdam will lead you away from the busy city center and lets you discover the rapidly changing, trendy neighbourhood of Noord.
In Amsterdam North, old factories and shipyards dominated the skyline for decades. Nowadays it is full of art spaces, alternative markets and cafés. During this heritage walking tour you will:
– Enjoy great panoramic views over the water and see the skyline of Amsterdam
– Learn about the industrial heritage of Amsterdam: ship building
– Get to know where parts of the Amsterdam art scene is located
– Visit an award-winning, sustainable planned co-working space for creative and social enterprises located on a former shipyard
– See a market for antiques, vintage and unique finds
– Discover modern houses floating on the water
Things to know
What to bring
Bring comfortable walking shoes.
In case of rainy weather please bring an umbrella.
Up to 6 guests can attend our shared tours. For private tours special arrangements can be made.
Gaudí parallels in Amsterdam
Join us on this walking tour away from the busy city center and discover Gaudí parallels in Amsterdam. The Spaarndam neighborhood had been a social housing project in the 1910s and was built in the style of the Amsterdam School that picked up socialist ideas just like the famous Barcelona architect Gaudí did in his early years.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Price: starting from 26 Euro per person